Rules & Regulations
When you enter a team or participate in our leagues you must agree to follow these rules. We can change these rules at any time. Every team should provide us with an email contact. If you are on our email list you’ll receive updates any changes.
Standard volleyball rules apply. The main rules to be aware of when refereeing are:
• A player cannot touch the ball twice in a row (unless it is off a block).
• Teams may touch the ball three times before an attacking shot is made.
• Blocks that connect with the ball do not count as a first touch.
• It is a net foul if a player touches any part of the net during game play.
• It is a foul if a player’s whole foot is over the centerline. We encourage players not to push this rule to the limit to prevent injuries.
• A player must not carry (or catch & throw) the ball during play.
• The above carry rule is relaxed for the first touch of the ball that crosses the net.
• Defending teams cannot block a player that is setting the ball on the other side of the net, unless that player is taking an attacking shot (one that is intended to go over the net) or unless a part of the ball has crossed the plane of the net.
• A ball that hits the line is ‘in’.
• Teams that fail to provide at least four of their regular players technically default their games 3-0, although teams are welcome and encouraged to play a friendly game. If your team needs to default please contact Ann Fowler so that she can alert the Court Supervisor concerned
• Teams that use ring-in players are expected in the spirit of the game to use players from the same grade or lower and of a similar standard to the absent player.
• Sets are played to 25 points exactly (teams do not need to win by two point). Games are played to time (meaning the last set is often incomplete).
Our Wellington College league has a great atmosphere (with a constant waiting list for new teams) but is run in a gym that a real estate agent might call ‘cozy’! Therefore have some house rules to ensure that games can continue:
• If the ball contacts the roof and does not pass over the net, play can continue (sorry, no similar rule for balls that hit the walls guys and girls, that’s just a bad shot!).
• Serves may be made from within the dotted line marked on the Court (which encroaches onto the Court).
Games run for 50 minutes.
School players and student players may receive a 50% discount at our discretion. If your team has more than two adult players in it, we reserve the right to decide on whether the discount applies. This discount cannot be used in combination with a promotional discount.
Scores a added up for each round. The scoring system is: 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, plus total sets won during the round (incomplete sets are scored at 0.5), plus 1 point for every uniform (all team members must be in uniform).
• Attendance at rostered duties.
• Display of good attitude and fair play.
• Game time punctuality.